THE IMBOLC ALTAR
An altar is a collection of items which create a hum in your being whenever you are near. It’s a reminder of where we are in the turning of the year, and a soulful expression of who you are in its turning.
Your altar may be as simple or bountiful as you like—intimate and thoughtful, or large and celebratory. As you gather in all your items, keep in mind that there are no rules, only suggestions based on those who have come before us—
• Symbolic seeds & spices—ginger, coltsfoot, poppy.
• A cloth of white or silver for purity, fresh green or lightly patterned with small flowers.
• Pots of blooming snowdrops. Vases of angelica, bay laurel, eucalyptus.
• Items to represent all the elements—earth, air, fire, water. Some soil, a feather, your candle, & a small bowl of water are simple selections.
• Imbolc symbols—a hearth’s cauldron, candles, sheep, cows, swans.
• Stones of amethyst, turquoise, lapis, quartz, bloodstone.
• Fruits of the citrus family—Meyer lemons, limes, oranges, grapefruit.
• Symbols of the season’s first milk—cowbells, creamer or milk bottle, butter.
• Personal spiritual items such as deities, amulets, talismans, or images.
• Something to represent both the feminine & masculine.
Above all, make it a delight to gather and create your altar. Simple is lovely. As is over-the-top elaborate. Let it be who you are in this moment of the year.
For some additional inspiration, you may be interested in our Imbolc | Potential Ritual Box, available now.